Social support

South East Volunteer’s Social Support services are aimed at keeping people socially connected regardless of whether they are able to drive or walk far. We recognize how important it is for your health and wellbeing to be able to connect with others and book activities independently.

Our social activities will enable you to continue socialising even if your family is not available to take you. Our bus or cars will pick you up at your front door. It does not matter if you have not met anyone else in the groups as our friendly volunteers will help you to join in. They will also assist you to get in and out of the car or bus and up or down steps and help with storing walkers.

All our volunteer drivers are tested every 3 years and all our volunteers are police checked, reference checked and mentored in how to best assist our clients, as well as attending volunteer training sessions. They choose to volunteer for us because they enjoy helping others.

South East Volunteer’s social activities range from small fortnightly lunch groups to big special events with lunch and entertainment. Prices are seniors’ prices and usually include transport in either small bus or car.

Social activities* include:

  • Smaller men’s or ladies’ lunches at local venues
  • Larger group Out and About lunches at venues further out
  • Cinema
  • Craft
  • Walking Group
  • Ageless Grace chair based exercises
  • Chinese Elderly Social Support Groups
  • Morning Melodies
  • Shopping trips
  • Large Special events with lunch and musical entertainment

*Attendance at some activities may be limited by numbers


To use our program you need to:

  • be a person 65 years of age or over, or
  • have a disability and do not have Social Support already included in your NDIS package
  • not be living in a retirement village that already provides social activities
  • be able to independently get in and out of a car, without being lifted (we will provide balance support)

You must also be a resident of the City of Monash and live:

  • at home or
  • in an independent living unit or
  • in a serviced apartment that you own or
  • Supported residential service

Also, if you are aged 65 years or over, you must first be registered through My Aged Care*, to be referred to our service. Please advise your assessor that you would like to be referred to South East Volunteers’ Social Support service.

To register for My Aged Care, please phone 1800 200 422 or go to the website

Our Social Support Service is funded by the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) and the Home and Community Care (HACC) services which aim to keep you living at home as independently as possible, and feeling connected to your community. Together we help you to achieve your goals and maintain your independence.

Please call us at South East Volunteers on 9590 5700 or Contact Us if you need more information.

*This does not apply if you are under 65